Monday, 11 July 2011

The actual cost of renovating

I went past my house today and you can see all the way down the side! The little girls room is completely gone (except for the pink wall that is now on the outside of the house), garage gone and the whole back of the house is missing walls and roof.



It was extremely difficult seeing my home ripped apart like that.

Dean and I had been seeing each other for 6 months when we started looking to purchase a house together. We were living in our first home before we celebrated our first year together. By the time we were married, we also had an investment property.

We purchased our current home in 2005 and immediately installed a new custom kitchen and knocked out walls. Back then we only had 2 children but we always intended on adding a second storey. The house had been extended twice before and for a family of four, was a really spacious home. Add 2 more girls and one bathroom was never going to last us forever.

Dean works for a pool company so a pool was second on our list. Suddenly the list had grown to four bedrooms, a second storey that covered half of the house, a new living area that was moved to the back of the house. Glass doors spanning the whole back of our house. A playroom, office, formal lounge/theatre/guest bedroom, a new bathroom and laundry. And the list goes on.

All of this new space requires a new look. A few extra bedrooms means more furniture. Light fittings, staircase, outdoor kitchen, decking and so on.

There is also the secret extras. The things that you forget about when you try to fathom such a feat. Tarpaulins (which you wouldn't need if you were smart and did this in summer), scaffolding, temporary fencing - and I'm sure there are more surprises to come.

The actual building might end up being the cheapest part of this arduous adventure. I can add my sanity and our marriage as another unforeseen expense! I realise it would be a waste of time to divorce right now as I wouldn't get half a house, we only have half a house between us!

No, in all seriousness, there is no talk of divorce. Dean is my everything. A wonderful father, perfect husband, amazing man. I am so proud to be his wife and am so lucky to be going through this amazing experience with such a smart and fun person.

But, I can't be sure he feels the same way at the moment....

1 comment:

  1. I guess you won't be getting anymore Avon catalogues!! Viv

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...